The Collins Radio Company had great reputation for the production of high-quality amateur radio equipment and of military and commercial telecommunications material; in later years, the company shifted its business activities mainly to air traffic communications equipment.
The company was founded by Arthur Collins (WØCXX) in 1933, and soon production could be moved from a basement to a proper company building in Cedar Rapids. In the years of the Second World War, the production was switched to military communications material, among others the AN / ART and TCS vehicle radio sets.
With the amateur radio receivers 75A and the all-wave receiver 51J, as well more compact receiver of the 51S line, the company earned such a good reputation for its quality and performance, that Collins soon became one of the leading manufacturers of military and commercial telecommunication equipment. US Army's 388A, R-390A and R-392 with the legendary mechanical filters were milestones of Collins production.
In 1971, the Collins Comp. was taken over by Rockwell International; Arthur Collins retired in 1972 from the company. In the 1980s, Rockwell - Collins Inc. relocated its business entirely to the military and aerospace sectors.